Thursday, February 25, 2010

Please call me if my college kid drinks

A recent article in The Washington Post highlights the need for parents to better understand what is going on with their adult-aged children in college. Underage drinking and parties seem par for the course for many college kids, but if they are under 21, they are not suppose to be drinking according to the law. Rather than look the other way, colleges see where problems continue to lurk when underage drinking runs rampant: bad grades, sexual assaults, injuries, etc. Now, many colleges will tell parents what their teens are up to in order for the parents to join forces with them to protect the youth. I suppose the adage, "you can run but you can't hide" comes to mind and teens should take note. I know I'd want my teen's college to call me if they were drinking. Sounds like a perfect bonding time conversation. Ideally, parents would heed the advice while teens are high school and check out www.thepowerofparents.org and get a jumpstart on setting the rules early for their kids.

1 comment:

  1. But what do you do when the Mother of an underage teen is OK with thier drinking?? She accepts that it happens at College(didn't we all do it - she says) and she even sits at home and drinks with him! This is my husbands ex-wife and his son who is 19. Other than voicing concern (which no one cares about) what action can be taken???

    ReplyDelete